A relative made lots of dill pickles with West India burr gherkins for me.
The ingredient list here is adapted from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, p. 48.
* 8lbs 4–6" cucumbers, cut in long halves (my relative used West India burr gherkins cut into halves, and probably eyeballed the amount)
* ¾ cup sugar (my relative used either less or no sugar; I didn't want sugar, because they're dill pickles and I don't think they should be sugary; we could have just used the Hamburger Dills recipe instead, as it has no sugar, it seems)
* ½ cup canning salt (my relative used less salt, although I would have requested the full amount)
* 1 quart vinegar
* 1 quart water
* 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
* Green or dry dill (1 head per jar) (my relative used dill seeds)
Simmer the spices in a bag for 15 minutes. Process 15 minutes in a water-bath canner.
I don't know how these will taste, but I hope we'll enjoy them and that they'll taste good.